The Akkineni Nageswara Rao College, started as “The Gudivada College” in 1950 is the result of the munificence and zeal for higher education of the people of Gudivada Taluk and of the neighbouring taluks in Krishna District. Situated in a rich agricultural area midway between Vijayawada and Machilipatnam and connected by road, rail and canal with the leading towns and villages in the district, Gudivada has always been a centre of great cultural and political activity and its citizens have played a prominent role in the life of the nation generally and in particular of Andhra Desa. But the lack of a seat of higher learning was actually felt, and to meet this need a strong committee of local leaders was formed early in 1950 and an appeal for funds was made over the name of the following: Sri Parvataneni Venkataratnam (President), Sri Uppalapati Veerabhadra Rao (Treasurer), Sri Kaza Venkataramaiah (Secretary), Sri Vemulapalli Ramabrahmam (Joint Secretary) and Sarvasri Vadde Sobhanadri, Lingam Venkata Krishnaiah and Upadrasta Papanna Sastri as members.
Inauguration of the college:
The College Organising Committee approached the authorities of the Andhra University in April, 1950 with the request that permission might be given to start the institution and has it affiliation to the university. The Inspection Committee appointed by the university visited Gudivada in May 1950 and reported in favour of granting the affiliation. The College was formally inaugurated under the name 'The Gudivada College' by Prof. V.S. Krishna, B.A. (Oxon), Ph.D. (Vienna), Vice-Chancellor of the University, on July 6, 1950 at a public meeting over which the Hon'ble Sri B. Gopala Reddy, Finance Minister, Government of Madras, presided. It was temporarily located in a fine building on the main road. The Secretary of the Organizing Committee, Sri Kaza Venkataramaiah became the Correspondent of the College.
The motto of the College is TEJOBHAVATU (Let there be light) inscribed in the logo of the College. The goals and mission of the college also reflect this motto. Since the goal of education is to keep oneself informed and enlightened, the college has been striving to spread the light of knowledge in all directions.
- 1951: Biology, Physics and Chemistry group was opened and 94 students were admitted.
- 1952: The College was raised to First Grade and B.A. and B.Com. Classes were opened.
- 1953: B.Sc. class with Zoology (Main) and Chemistry and Botany (Subsidiaries) was opened. Civics and Indian Administration were offered as optional subjects in the Intermediate Programme, and in arts groups classes were opened in Sanskrit for Intermediate and in Hindi for B.A.
- 1957: The Pre-University Programme was opened with eight combinations of optional subjects.
- 1958: The Three-year Degree Programmes were started in the college, thus making our institution conforms to the national pattern of collegiate education.
- 1959: Owing to a generous donation from Akkineni Nageswara Rao, noted Cine-Hero, the College was renamed as Akkineni Nageswara Rao College from April 1959.
- 1960: The Tenth College Day was celebrated at the new site, on the present campus.
- 1969-70: In accordance with a new pattern of education, the college started the new 2-year Intermediate Programme.
- 1971-72: A new pattern of degree Programme (called New Scheme) with Main and Ancillaries was started with Telugu as the medium of instruction.
- 1974-75: Starting of M.Com. Programme, thereby becoming the fourth affiliated colleges in Andhra University area to have the privilege of offering instruction at the postgraduate level.
- 1975-76: The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee. Sri J. Vengala Rao, Chief Minister inaugurated the celebrations, which was attended by many other distinguished people.
- 1984: Sri Yerneni Govindaiah Junior College building was completed on the eastern side of College.
- 1985: The Foundation Stone for the Post-Graduate wing was laid.
- 1991-92: Keeping the ever-growing importance of Computer Sciences and Electronics two new restructured B.Sc. Programmes, one with Electronics, Physics and Mathematics combination and another with Computer Science, Physics and Mathematics, were started.
- 1992-93: The Post-Graduate Department was shifted to the new building.
- 1993-94: Expansion of academic facilities are the order of the day and in keeping with this trend the college started the M.B.A. Programme.
- 1994-95: The M.Sc. in Mathematics was started in the academic year. Foundation stone for the Post-Graduate Block II was laid by the then Chairman of UGC Prof. G. Rami Reddy.
- 1996: Construction of the Men's Hostel completed.
- 1998-99: The M.C.A., M.Sc. (Computer Science), B.C.A. and a new stream in B.Sc. Programme with Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science were started.
- 1999-2000: B.Ed. Programme was started during the academic year under the same Management in a sister institution, A.N.R.College of Education.
- 2000-2001: Post-Graduate Diploma in Management Information Systems and Computer Applications (P.G.D.M.I.S.C.A.) The first UGC Sponsored State Level Seminar on "Impact of Privatisation of Higher Education without Government Participation" on 10-11 November, 2001.
The College celebrated it Golden Jubilee Celebrations which were inaugurated by Hon'ble Chief Minister Sri N. Chandra Babu Naidu in which many other V.I.Ps. participated. The following donations were also received from several Alumni during this time. They are:
- Rs.10.00 lakhs Sri Ch.Ramoji Rao, Chairman, Eenadu Group, in honour of his parents Cherukuri Venkata Subbaiah and Venkata Subbamma.
- Rs.15.00 lakhs by Dr. Y. Lakshmi Prasad from his M.P. LADS fund.
- Rs.5.00 lakhs by Sri Maganti Rajendra Prasad.
- Rs.5.00 lakhs by Sri Punukollu Venkata Ratnam.
- Rs.1.00 lakh by Sri J. V. Satyanarayana.
- Rs.10.00 lakhs by the other members of "A.N.R. College Old Students' Association" (ANRCOSA) towards the construction of Golden Jubilee Commemoration Building.
- 2002-03: M.Sc. (Information Systems) was started during the academic year.
Golden Jubilee Memorial Building was inaugurated by Prof. L. Venugopala Reddy, Vice-Chancellor, Acharya Nagarjuna University on 17-8-2002.
M.Sc. Organic Chemistry was started.
The extension work of I floor of eastern and western wings of the main building was completed and it came into existence.
- 2003-04: M.Sc. Physics, and B.Sc. with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry in English medium were started. A Hostel for Women in the name of “Akkineni Annapurnamma Women’s Hostel was constructed.
- 2005-06: M.Sc. Microbiology, M.Sc. Botany were started.
A 400m Running Track (width 9.76 mtrs.) was laid during 2005-06 at a cost of Rs.3.00 lakhs which was sanctioned by UGC during X Plan.
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports granted Rs.3.00 lakhs and it was utilised by the College to equip the Gymnasium with Multi Gym.
NAAC Peer team visited our College and accredited the College with B++ grade.
- 2006-07: Three National level seminars were organized with the assistance of UGC and NAAC.
- 2007-08: The annual intake of MCA course was enhanced from 60 to 120 from the academic year 2007-08
- 2008-09: Two UGC funded National Level Seminars were organised.
The annual intake of MBA course is enhanced from 60 to 120 from the academic year 2008-09
A.N.R College secured FIRST prize by being adjudged as Best Performing Professional P.G. College in Examination results by Acharya Nagarjuna University.
A new Dining Centre was constructed in the Hostel.
M.Sc. Physics had to be closed due to lack of demand.
- 2009-10: M.Sc. Botany and M.Sc. Mathematics had to be closed due to lack of demand.
- 2010-11: The College affiliation shifted from Acharya Nagarjuna University to Krishna University as per the orders of the government.
Dining Halls have been created for Men and Women Day Scholars.
- 2011-12: U.G. Seminar Hall was constructed in this period.
Hosted Krishna University Inter-collegiate Men Volleyball tournament on 18-11-2011
- 2012-13: One national level seminar was organized
B.Com. Computers was started.
M.Sc. Micro-Biology had to be closed due to lack of demand.
- 2013-14: On 22nd January 2014, Dr. Akkineni Nageswara Rao, Chairman of our College Committee passed away.
- 2014-15: A 10 KV Solar Power Plant was commenced.
An RO plant with 1000 lts. capacity was commissioned.
M.Sc. Mathematics course was revived.
ATM facility was made available in the premises of the College Andhra Bank Branch.
MCA had to be closed due to lack of demand.
- 2015-16: One workshop on Academic Reforms was organized.
M.Sc.Physics and M.Sc. Computer Science Courses were revived.